how to read a chart? help us the beginners

burlinvermon

i read the books that dr. farr, eedwards and sagicap suggested me but i still don't know how to read a chart,that's why i posted my chart on the forum.

the only post about how to read an horary chart on the forum is by archergirl and it is only the basics.

i am asking anyone who has the time and can post how they read an horary chart , more than the basics(archergirl post)

thanks

Last edited:

MaeMae

Banned
not sure if you were ref'd to john frawley website or skyscript. they have good horary lessons.
do you have a sound understanding of planets, rulers, houses? if so, reading horaries presented here is the best way to learn. You need to understand the astro basics, especially house rulership meanings, at minimum, along with nature of planets.
not sure where you are on that continuum?

burlinvermon

i have a sound understanding of planets, rulers, houses and tried to read horaries and my horary presented here but i still don't know how to read.

if someone can post how they read an horary chart,step by step(more than the basics , archergirl post) it'll help us the beginners learn

Last edited:

burlinvermon

thanks.
if someone can post how they read an horary chart,step by step(more than the basics , archergirl post) it'll help us the beginners learn.
i'm asking that because the post by archergirl helps beginners learn but not enough to read our horary charts , the example horary charts don't teach you what to look in every horary chart step by step.

MaeMae

Banned
are you looking for a "formula"?
there is none, other than personal study.
start by reading other horary posts and responses to them, outcomes if they're posted.

burlinvermon

are you looking for a "formula"?
there is none, other than personal study.
start by reading other horary posts and responses to them, outcomes if they're posted.
i'm looking for someone to post how they read an horary chart(read archergirl post) but more than the basics(archergirl post)

vedic astrologers , dr .farr are also welcome to post how they read an horary chart

archergirl post http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12782

JUPITERASC

Anachiel

Mmmkay, I see where this is going and I understand your question. However, there is no "HOW". You have to relieve yourself of that question because if you pursue it, you will never read a horary chart.

Horary is an Art. If you walked up to any painter, sculptor, cook, or lapidary, etc. and asked them how they made 'that', they would probably look at you blankly.

First, you have to appreciate and understand the medium you are working with; in this case, the heavens and what is in them. Then you need to understand their meaning and motions; how they relate to one another and what they govern on terra firma.
While you are doing that you are reading and coming to understand those who came before you, the history and their examples.
Once you have done this (and it doesn't end) then you need to try your hand at your own works, your own questions and see how they turn out. Experiment, so to speak.

Horary doesn't have a technical manual with a schematic that if you follow which plug goes into what socket you will have power and lights. Again, horary is an Art.

Although not required, it also helps to have a teacher. Any good teacher will start you off with William Lilly. Once you have that down you can pretty safety venture into other realms and times and books. But, for starters, Lilly is it. Everything you need is in there and it provides a good safety net for further exploration on many levels.

Like Zen and StarTrek, there is no destination in horary; it is an ongoing journey that proves itself as you go along.

burlinvermon

i will ask the questions i have

Sometimes using the house rulers doesn’t give you a very good description of the person you are asking about. In this case, use traditional rulers instead, and see if they ‘fit’ better:

Sun: men in the prime of their lives (say, late 20s – mid 40s); husbands

Saturn: older men; father figures; older people in general

The Moon: women; wives; young people

Venus: girlfriends, usually; wives, sometimes; lovers
how do you use it? if venus is applying to the quesited in relationship question,will they be in a relationship? the querent and quesited

What are these three things ‘doing’ with one another? Applying? Separating? Are they ‘friendly’ to one another (Sun in Sagittarius and Jupiter in Leo, for example)? Do they ‘dislike’ one another?
what disliking each other mean?

The extras: Forget about asteroids, Arabic Parts, and outer planets (and quincunxes, sesquiquadrates, and semisextiles)
can someone explain how to use asteroids, arabic parts,outher planets and quincunxes, sesquiquadrates and semisextiles in horary?

Know when to stop: If a planet needs to make an aspect to several other planets before reaching the planet you want it to reach, this is interference. Don’t read a chart as: ‘First the Moon conjuncts Mars and then it sextiles Jupiter and then it squares Saturn and then it trines my planet!’. The answer will usually stop at Mars.
why do you not read all of the aspects?

In relationship questions, the quesited’s significator in conjunction with another planet (often Venus) means, literally, that the quesited is with someone else. Venus in the 7th house often shows this, too (if you or the quesited is not Venus in the chart).
what other testimonies can show the quesited is with someone else?

What is the Moon doing? What house is she in? Is she in a strong house (1st, 4th, 7th, 10th)? Is she in a weak house (6th, 8th, 12th)? Is she in a strong sign (Cancer or Taurus)? Is she weak (Capricorn or Scorpio)? Is she applying to one of the significators, or to an important angle? Is she separating from a significator? Is she Void of Course?
can someone explain how does it change the answer?

Anachiel

OK, not to be difficult but, a lot of these questions are contextual. They also would require (some of them) a book to explain.

Can I ask what books you have read? I know many of these questions are covered in a basic horary tomes.

In light of that I will touch on some of the things you asked.

i will ask the questions i have

how do you use it? if venus is applying to the quesited in relationship question,will they be in a relationship? the querent and quesited

You are talking about significators here. Surely, you have read something about how to find a signifcator in a chart. That is basis horary 101. I am not meaning to sound flippant here but, again, what horary books have to read to date?

The signifcators of the querent and the quesited have to perfect. In other words, make a pleasing aspect, generally, for them to come together.

I'm not sure how the person whom you quoted meant that.

can someone explain how to use asteroids, arabic parts,outher planets and quincunxes, sesquiquadrates and semisextiles in horary?

We don't use them in horary.

Again, this question makes me wonder if you have read a basic book on horary. We can't use all the aspects in horary because they deny perfection of the matter or impedite the matter. Then again they can perfect using translation or collection of light, etc. Depends.

Again, this would take a book to explain. William Lilly devotes a very large chapter on this subject alone.

can someone explain how does it change the answer?

The Moon is the function of the chart. If she is not functioning well then the matter and possibly the quesited are not functioning well either, to put it simply.

R.J.

Banned
i read the books that dr. farr, eedwards and sagicap suggested me but i still don't know how to read a chart,that's why i posted my chart on the forum.

the only post about how to read an horary chart on the forum is by archergirl and it is only the basics.

i am asking anyone who has the time and can post how they read an horary chart , more than the basics(archergirl post)

thanks

Burlinvermon:

the best answer that I can give to you, is that reading a Horary astrology chart is an acquired SKILL, and no one is born with that skill..

It can take YEARS... to get good at it !

Do you have the patience, the time, and ther personal willpower to stick it out ?

Skill development comes from structured learning environments, such as courses, local workshops at astrology conventions, hiring an astrological tutor or secondary instructional aids, such as text books, on line books, videos and also, the internet and bulletin boards like these...

Horary Astrology and the Judgement of Events by Barbara H. Watters, is the text that is a requirement for all of my students... for my basic horary course that I offer...

This is a GREAT text...one of the best astrology books ever written, in my mind...and I highly recommend it to all beginner students of horary astrology....

Are you looking for a SHORTCUT to learning horary astrology... THERE ARE NONE !

You have to form tangible, realistic goals when pursuing astrological studies or ANY type of discipline...

If learning horary is your ultimate goal, then I would suggest not relying on the internet, alone, for your bowl of rice...

Also, how much money do you have to invest in a horary astrology course... Such courses are not cheap and if you don't have the money, then I think that you might be wasting your time...here...

I don't want to discourage you, though...

But, learning horary astrology takes both TIME, the RIGHT instructor, and MONEY...

So, " show me the money, honey..."

all the very best,

R.J. Smith (teacher of horary astrology since 1980)

p.s. upon finding yourself the right instructor, you may want to put it to a horary question, as in should I hire person X as my mentor...

I would not do that now, as Mercury is retrograde, but try us later on that..

good luck to you....

Last edited:

burlinvermon

You are talking about significators here. Surely, you have read something about how to find a signifcator in a chart. That is basis horary 101. I am not meaning to sound flippant here but, again, what horary books have to read to date?

The signifcators of the querent and the quesited have to perfect. In other words, make a pleasing aspect, generally, for them to come together.
i have. but i am asking how do you use traditional rulers which i quoted (archergirl post) in horary?

I'm not sure how the person whom you quoted meant that.
in detriment or fall,venus in libra and mars in virgo,what does it mean?

We don't use them in horary.
i thought you can use them and read that astrologers used them

Again, this question makes me wonder if you have read a basic book on horary. We can't use all the aspects in horary because they deny perfection of the matter or impedite the matter. Then again they can perfect using translation or collection of light, etc. Depends.
the other aspects don't mean anything?

Again, this would take a book to explain. William Lilly devotes a very large chapter on this subject alone.
i haven't read that,i read the books dr. farr,eedwards and sagicap suggested. can you please quote?

can someone explain how does it change the answer? The Moon is the function of the chart. If she is not functioning well then the matter and possibly the quesited are not functioning well either, to put it simply.
what does it mean that the matter isn't functioning well? if the querent and quesited are applying(trine) but the moon is doing that,what does it mean?

thanks Anachiel.

thanks,i read many astrologers learnt from books without an instructor and money R.J
can someone help me with my horary chart?
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48052

serafin5

Hi Burlinvermin: I just wanted to share that like you I am also studying horary and you dont seem to be listening to all of the astrologer's advice that has been given you thus so far. I dont think someone will come along here and help you to understand your specific questions and/or in the order you are presenting them. Why? Because every horary is approached differently by different astrologers since everybody is at different levels in their understanding of this science/art. OK, I'll explain what I do to learn and I feel proud of myself since I know I am understanding the basics but learning horary for me has been like learning another language. I know that I can understand what everybodies saying but I still cant speak it. Like you, I still have a problem with in what order of importance do I approach this issue? But I also know as my knowledge grows the order of things makes itself known little by little. What I know to be true is that you need to read, read, read, and then do more reading. Then with every horary question you see here or in the books on horary you try to follow along. I suggest you take notes, also, www.skyscript.com is an awesome site for learning.

I hope I have been clear here and I hope you understand; it's gonna be awhile till we can confidently answer horary questions here. But that's ok. It's gonna take time for us both!:biggrin:

Good Luck!

Serafin5

SagiCap

i'm looking for someone to post how they read an horary chart(read archergirl post) but more than the basics(archergirl post)

As Mae said, all of the horaries here with any answer show "how" the responder read the chart. Just don't give up.

My Tips:

• Read good, established astrologers' sources. Read the basics, the ancients.
  • Memorize or reference closely the basics (table of dignities, house rulerships, signs and houses themselves)
  • Try to pick a well-established, accurate online active poster to "follow" and grasp their style as a mentor or teacher of sorts. Better if they are reachable, meaning: you can message them and they share their tips with you. Some people on this site are extremely generous with their knowledge. God bless them.
  • When you follow a horary here, open the chart AND read the text looking back and forth at both simultanously. I tend to not be visual, but literal and I have to remind myself that it's not all theory, its visual and practical look and see.
  • Don't read amateurs delineations that can skew you off-track. There are a lot of these online. Be careful.
  • Make your own charts. You are always the best astrologer of your own chart because you bring the background, filler information. Others will say they are "not objective" enough, but I don't believe this.
  • Trial and error. Follow up on charts that have been updated with outcomes. We don't do this enough. The best way for me to understand a chart, believe it or not is "backwards" - ie: Following a chart with a known outcome, then seeing how that came to be in the chart.
  • Don't expect to master horary in the near future. It takes years and years of study to grasp such a tremendous art and science. Allow yourself mistakes and time always. Its never easy.
This is one of my favourite astrologers, Gia. She writes an awesome love horary tips post here: http://giahorary.wordpress.com/category/universal-model-astrology-horary/horary-astrology/

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

burlinvermon

thanks for your tips serafin5 and sagicap. there are questions that the answers aren't in the books and i need to know the answers,can anachiel or someone please answer my questions?

Gemini Rising

Burlinvermon:

the best answer that I can give to you, is that reading a Horary astrology chart is an acquired SKILL, and no one is born with that skill..

It can take YEARS... to get good at it !

Do you have the patience, the time, and ther personal willpower to stick it out ?

Skill development comes from structured learning environments, such as courses, local workshops at astrology conventions, hiring an astrological tutor or secondary instructional aids, such as text books, on line books, videos and also, the internet and bulletin boards like these...

Horary Astrology and the Judgement of Events by Barbara H. Watters, is the text that is a requirement for all of my students... for my basic horary course that I offer...

This is a GREAT text...one of the best astrology books ever written, in my mind...and I highly recommend it to all beginner students of horary astrology....

Are you looking for a SHORTCUT to learning horary astrology... THERE ARE NONE !

You have to form tangible, realistic goals when pursuing astrological studies or ANY type of discipline...

If learning horary is your ultimate goal, then I would suggest not relying on the internet, alone, for your bowl of rice...

Also, how much money do you have to invest in a horary astrology course... Such courses are not cheap and if you don't have the money, then I think that you might be wasting your time...here...

I don't want to discourage you, though...

But, learning horary astrology takes both TIME, the RIGHT instructor, and MONEY...

So, " show me the money, honey..."

all the very best,

R.J. Smith (teacher of horary astrology since 1980)

p.s. upon finding yourself the right instructor, you may want to put it to a horary question, as in should I hire person X as my mentor...

I would not do that now, as Mercury is retrograde, but try us later on that..

good luck to you....

This is spot on.
I'd like to add that it takes a lot of studying and a lot of practice to begin interpreting the charts right. You have to make your own judgements on the charts even if they are wrong. Then go back to your charts (when the outcome is known) and you 'll see much more.
I am actually reading Barbara Watters' book right now, though I have to say some books (this one included!) can be a bit expensive, but it's definitely worth it.
Re. internet, I only joined as a forum member after studying books for 1.5 years and only ask about things I can't find in books. I would be very cautious and wouldn't rely much on the net, as I've seen astrologers giving the wrong clues in some forums when the answers were quite clear. So a sceptical approach is also required from my point of view. Of course all this needs time, so take one step at a time :smile:

Neptune Rising

Hi burlinvermon

There are alot of good and valuable answers here, alot of people have put in the time and effort in trying to explain how horary reading works. Apart from buying a book, you may be hard pushed to find someone who can give you the answer you are looking for.

The best way, as already explained, is to do your own charts, cast them, read them, record your own interpretations and reasons how you came to your conclusions and learn from the outcomes. Another good way is to see the charts here on the forum without looking at the outcomes, do your own interp and then see the outcomes and compare and learn from where you went wrong. No one else is going to be able to explain or develop your own skill except for you. There are alot of tips and guidance out there, especially in this thread linked to by the others. Try looking into them, do your own charts or try to read other charts here, and learn directly from experience.

I learned this way, when I started reading horary, I had no books, I just had this forum and I did tons and tons of charts, especially my own, and I learned form there and from the other forum members who had a go at my chart.

Also, have patience at the rate which you learn. You will pick things up if you keep doing the charts yourself, reading other people's charts (as long as they have an update), and reading what you can on the internet.

Good luck
NR

Last edited: